Aims and Features
The discipline of Actuarial Science is based on the evaluation of the financial, economic and business implications of future contingent events. Although this subject is relatively new to many students, it proves to be very useful in the business world, usually within the insurance industry in the past but expanding to banking and finance in recent years.
The BSc in Actuarial Science, the only programme of its kind in Hong Kong, provides formal academic training to students who wish to join the actuarial profession. The programme is designed to provide specialist training in actuarial science and prepare students for the professional examinations of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, the Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society. In addition to the exemption arrangements for subjects CT1-CT8 with the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, UK, the programme has also obtained Validation by Education Experience (VEE) exemption approval with the Casualty Actuarial Society, the Society of Actuaries and the Canadian Institute of Actuaries in North America. For details of the exemptions, please click here.
Furthermore, the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science was designated as a Center of Actuarial Excellence by the Society of Actuaries in December 2011. The designation is awarded for a period of five years to schools which demonstrate excellence in actuarial science through meeting strict criteria in quality of curriculum, number and quality of graduates, qualified faculty, strong ties to business, and beneficial research and scholarship.
Click #HKU6729ActuarialScience for the collection of posts and stories about the BSc in Actuarial Science programme on our Facebook.
| Study Programme
||Total number of students in 2017-18
| 6729 Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science
|Updated on NOV 6, 2017|
What is so special about the Actuarial Science programme at the University of Hong Kong?
- It admits the best students from both the JUPAS and EAS schemes.
- It has the best and largest group of researchers in Actuarial Science in Asia. In addition, two world class professors, Professor Hans Gerber and Professor Elias Shiu are visiting professors of the programme.
- It is flexibly structured so that those who are more mathematical oriented can find sufficient interesting challenges while those who are more applied can receive a lot of exposures to the business and industry.
- It is the first programme in Hong Kong and therefore a large and active network of alumni in the industry. All major insurance companies and many well-known financial institutions in Hong Kong have our graduates, and many of them hold a senior manager or higher position.
- The Statistics and Actuarial Science Department has a strong Risk Management programme with a strong team of researchers in quantitative finance and risk management, and it has the longest history of a world class research profile in Hong Kong as well.
- Overseas exchanges, mentorship, internship programmes, seminars and workshops are proactively organized.
- The job opportunities are vast, not just limited to actuarial science. Financial institutions like investment banks, Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority (MPFA), accounting firms, insurance firms, regulatory bodies, even universities are hiring our Actuarial Science graduates.
- An agreement was signed between the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science and the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFA), United Kingdom, to accredit the BSc(ActuarSc) programme for IFA subjects CT1 – CT8, with effect from 5 September 2011. According to Dr. Trevor Watkins, Director of Education at IFA, the BSc(ActuarSc) programme is the first in Asia obtaining such accreditation from the institution.